Tuesday 23 February 2010

Sooty

Today is a very bad day. My beloved little schitzu - Sooty - died this morning. She came to us after escaping several years of torment and ill-treatment from the previous owner. Her teeth had rotted and had to be extracted and her tongue hung out the side of her mouth in a gap where her jaw had been broken by a kick.

Despite feeling heartbroken, I am remembering how faithful she was - always staying close and cuddling - and feeling a bit happier that we had been able to provide her with several years of love and affection that hopefully made up for her earlier miserable life.

Spare a thought for her, though. Hopefully, our late Jack Russell - Bert - is showing her the ropes as she is adjusting to her new life in doggie heaven where all her frailties will have vanished, the sun always shines and she has a new set of teeth so she can feed herself. Bye, bye Sooty . . .

12 comments:

  1. Heartache. So very sad. I'm sure people will send you the Rainbow Bridge story. As corny as it is it made me cry when I lost my last pet. Yes, you gave Sooty what it longed for. The two most precious gifts. Love and time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. True, love and time...that is all we desire really, and the love she gave to you was reflected in your tender care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a brave trooper and great you gave her a home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Know that you gave her love. The lose of a pet never seems to leave us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i feel your pain. our old dog died a couple of years ago and I still shed the odd tear for her. But dogs don't have time for all that nonsense, and I'm sure wherever Sootie is, she's having a whale of a time; safe in the knowledge that she was well-loved.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks T & L - I don't know the Rainbow Bridge, but hope someone does send it.

    Teri and Rosie, thanks for saying a few comforting words.

    @eloh - a nice thought, thank you.

    Hi Cassia, I know the pain will fade (a little) in time. Thankfully, I shot five seconds of video of her on Sunday before travelling back from Bath to Blackpool (the battery ran out almost immediately). It provides a good memory of her trotting along!

    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Laurie, deepest condolences, animals are part of the family... Perhaps you can bring her to Paris to be laid to rest in the dog cemetery in Asnières ? Might be a bit far I guess. May she rest in peace wherever she rests.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am sorry for your loss. Our pets are so dear to us and your Sooty looks like she was a precious family member.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rainbow Bridge

    http://www.petloss.com/poems/maingrp/rainbowb.htm

    It still makes me cry because I miss my kitty so very much. Had him for 17 years, put him down in my arms 3 years ago March 2nd.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Laurie, so sorry to hear about Sooty. Maybe Sooty is with Dolly now - and they can meet and play. I was given the Rainbow bridge story too, by the vet when Dolly died, and it really was a nice thought. Made me cry but gave me some comfort, so I hope you can seek it out. If I find it I'll post it here.
    Warm thoughts from me and the buttons to you in your sadness.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Laurie. my deepest condolences ...the loss of you beloved Sooty is so sad, but, as that old saying goes..better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all...I hope your happy memories bring you comfort....the picture shows a sweet dog who looked well-loved and who loved back! Ann

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just a note to say thank you all for your kind thoughts which are much appreciated. Laurie.

    ReplyDelete