Friday 27 August 2010

Lost and Found

A few days ago, I went for a walk along the Lancashire Coastal Way from St Annes to Lytham Green. On the way along the beachside walk, I saw a sock, then a pair of Calvin Klein underpants, the peak of a baseball cap and a single training shoe.

I got to thinking about these somewhat less than treasured items and the wartime theme of 'make do and mend'. If I walked along say eighty miles of coastal footpath - a daunting task to say the least - would I find an entire wardrobe of clothing that would amaze my friends? I am not sure - not that I have any friends anyway.

This episode probably came to mind when I reached Lytham Green where a two-day event was taking place to commemorate the 70th anniversary of the Battle of Britain. The green was smothered with living history re-enactors. Here was a German Army camp, alongside a Russian platoon, next came the US airborne and British soldiers - all in authentic wartime uniforms. There was also a full-size replica Spitfire and wartime pilots sat around in deck chairs awaiting the order to 'Scramble!'

I was especially impressed to witness a flypast of a RAF Dakota transport aircraft and then a display of aerobatics by a Spitfire and a Hurricane.

Anyway, sorry for meandering off the subject. The whole purpose of this post was to ask people what unusual items they have found while out walking? Please share your experiences, here.

5 comments:

  1. I've usually got my nose to the ground when I'm camping, looking around for rocks and wood that interest me. I've found some wonderful items. I usually ignore manmade things.

    One item I found in Wyoming at Devil's Tower
    (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devils_Tower_National_Monument).

    The story of the tower, famous from the movie Close Encounters, is that two Native American children were trapped on the top of the tower and a huge bear created the striations on the side when it was trying to get to the children. So I was greatly surprised when I stepped out of my vehicle in the campground and found at my feet a stone in the shape of a bear, crouching, front paws extended. It's a very sacred place to many tribes and I felt really fortunate to have found this stone made by nature in such a special place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found a few shoes recently, including some baby ones, which I kept as props.
    I also found what can only be described as an inflatable missile discarded in a hedge in a park. I kept that as a prop too.
    Someday, I'm sure they will help to make a very interesting shoot. Just not sure in what way, yet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have boxes and bags full of treasures. Pieces of chainmail from Carcassonne. Roman and Moorish ceramic shards from central Spain, medieval buttons, some medieval thimbles and bits of buckles, a Ceaser Augustus coin found on the hillside of an abandoned village, a lead pellet used in a slingshot...I can't help it. My eyes constantly scout the ground in the countryside.

    ReplyDelete
  4. TAL - a great find and a great story!

    Allesandro - an inflatable missile - I wonder who lost it?

    Rosie - What a collection. I am very envious. Please make sure you don't bump into anything as you scout the ground!

    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I once found a $20 bill and another time a wrench. I still have that tool. lol I've found flipflops, ornate wine bottles, dolls, and an antique cup. Once I found a really old wooden puzzle with one piece missing.

    (grin)

    ReplyDelete